Saturday, July 24, 2010

14 glue sticks...

WoW.  I started the school supply shopping today.  I was floored by some of the items on her list.  Why are teachers so particular about brand names?  When the teacher puts a brand name on the list I feel compelled to get that brand even when I know another will work just as well.  For instance it says that she needs fiskers scissors.  Does it really need to be fiskers?  Won't Office Depot brand scissors work just as well? 
And 14 glue sticks?  For one kindergardener who is only there for half the day?  Really?  14?  Doesn't that seem excessive?  And the pencils have to be sharpened.  So I have to go buy a pencil sharpener just so I can open her brand new pencils and send them to school sharpened. 

I can't wait until Sophy is old enough to do this for me.

1 comment:

Emily said...

You know me, I always have to think from the teacher perspective. Fiskers really ARE the best scissors.

When we moved to houston, the schools sold packages of school supplies. Like, you just paid $40 (or whatever) and got all your supplies in a package. My mom thought she had died and gone to heaven.

When I started teaching in Oklahoma, I was dumbfounded that they didn't do that here. You mean I have to rely on parents to buy the correct items?! :)