Thursday, January 28, 2010

Letter to the editor:

Dear Entertainment Weekly,
I was happily reading my EW in the tub when I came across your article 'TV'S 50 Biggest Bombs and Blunders'.  Number 37 on your list annoyed me.  You said : "Besides M*A*S*H has it ever worked [to turn hit movies into shows]?"  You mentioned My Big Fat Greek Life, Ferris Bueller, Uncle Buck, and Clueless; all of which stunk up TV screens across America.  I agree that I cringed when I heard of my favorite movie of all time 10 Things I Hate About You becoming a series, but even this doesn't blind me from the many shows that came from movies and still managed to find their way on the small screen.  Must I remind you the Buffy The Vampire Slayer was once a movie?  This show was not only popular but spawned it's own spin off, Angel, a feat that you link to being a success.  What about Stargate?  It is not only a cult favorite but has spawned two spin offs in the form of Stargate Atlantis and Stargate Universe.  To say that M*A*S*H is the only movie to successfully make the jump to the small screen is ridiculous.  I don't think that these shows are any more likely to fail then all the other new shows that are put before us each year.  In all cases it is as much about the writing, directing, cast, and promotion that determine the rise or fall of a new series then it is the shows origins.
-Sincerely,
Shannon

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Genial post and this mail helped me alot in my college assignement. Gratefulness you seeking your information.

Anonymous said...

Amiable brief and this post helped me alot in my college assignement. Thanks you for your information.

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...

Good brief and this post helped me alot in my college assignement. Gratefulness you seeking your information.

Anonymous said...

i genuinely enjoy your own posting style, very charming.
don't quit as well as keep writing as it just worth to read it.
impatient to see a lot more of your articles, regards ;)

Anonymous said...

Hi
Very nice and intrestingss story.