Friday, January 22, 2010

Recapturing Project Enthusiasm

I love that feeling you get when you start a new project. There is the thrill of planning, organizing, and dreaming of the finished product. I always start with such good intentions of finishing in a timely manner. I dive in headfirst! I get immersed in whatever is my current obsession, living, eating, and breathing it until I lose sight of my normal daily activities.
For those that know me this is part of my wonderful/awful personality. I can be a passionate person and awesome friend, until I sink into my self made hole and stay there until sometime pulls me out of it.
I rarely finish something in a timely manner. I get half way through any given project and get distracted by the next interesting thing to catch my eye. That's right I have shiny object syndrome. (Isn't there a mythical creature known for being easily distracted and easily entertained? Elves? Fairies? Any insight? Maybe I'm a changeling and it's not really my fault!)
All that to say that my current writing project got shoved aside for my awesome apron-sewing project! Then that got pushed aside so I could get some reading in. Now I am obsessively cleaning and organizing my home. Did I mention I love organizing and look for excuses to organize things? I haven't? Well you should see my newly organized coat closet! It's orga-fabulous!
So how to get myself back to writing? Well an email from one of my readers politely pointing out that the story isn't over and has been left hanging for a month is one good way. I plan to read through my entire story to date (no major edits allowed) as if I was reading it for the first time. Then allow my mind to drift into the world of Adelaide again. Lets see if I can get back into my own make believe world. Wish me luck.
Oh and if no one hears from me for a while...well that just might mean I succeeded...that or I saw something pretty and sparkly!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Keep posting stuff like this i really like it

Anonymous said...

The author of dowagerprincess.blogspot.com has written an excellent article. You have made your point and there is not much to argue about. It is like the following universal truth that you can not argue with: All light beers are awful Thanks for the info.