Friday, August 10, 2007

For the last two years I have been back and forth on a particular issue. that of Piercing my child's ears. Certain family members were all for it, while others were totally against it. It amazed me how few people didn't care one way or the other. I saw points for doing it while they were little and I saw great reasons for waiting. Trish pierced Annabelle's ears last weekend. She brought up the subject about a month ago while we were in Tulsa. It made me think about it all over again. I decided at that time the same thing I always thought- I'd love to do it, but it costs too much. So I didn't. Well I finally made up my mind, again. And this time I did something about it. My babies now have a couple extra holes each. What changed things so suddenly? I found out that Wal-mart does Ear piercing! Same exact way they do it everywhere else only cheaper! Woo Hoo! So I picked out some cute little 3 mm balls and got it done. We did Sophy first and she didn't even cry! They had two people so both ears were done at once. She barely jumped! I was so proud of my big girl. Lola cried a lot, but mostly because it scared her I think. She had to have hers done one ear at a time. She calmed down quickly and as soon as I put her in her car seat she was asleep! I'm now glad I had it done and that I didn't spend a fortune on it! I just wish I new about this when Sophy was little! I did it as a surprise for Jeff so I wonder how long till he notices.....
* Edit* Jeff noticed about 5 minutes after he hugged the girls. He noticed Lola's first. it is a little easier to see without all the hair.

8 comments:

Emily said...

I'll probably be piercing my baby girl's ears. I love it. And it will be much to the disdain of my mother in law but oh well...it's not her kid! The girls look great!

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Shannon said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Shannon said...

Sorry guys, it stinks that I have to monitor comments, but some people just can't seem to be friendly. I have no problem with criticism, but I have a problem with people being judgmental without even posting who they are! If you want to say something negative feel free, but please say who you are and be willing to accept that I WILL respond.

Shannon said...

For those people who have made comments on the use of a gun to piece the girls ears I have some info for you:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ear_piercing_instrument

The kind used was the advanced cartridge model. I watched them do it all and they wore gloves from opening the cartridges to loading them till they were finished. I have no fears of it not being sterile.

Amber said...

Well, since you deleted the comments I'm guessing were critisism, I'm not exactly sure what was said. But I think you have responded well to negativity. There will always be people out there that disagree with what you do. So do what you want. Good for you for being confident in the decisions that you make. :)

Mssrowlett said...

I think it looks adorable! But then again I pierced Hana's ears when she was 4 months old and have NOT regreted it one bit. The experience was fine and her ears have done great. She never even bothers them but she knows they are there. But then....you knew that I would approve!

Did Daddy like them?

Amy Swor said...

You were such a smart mommy for having both girls ears pierced now. They'll thank you later.

Our ped encouraged me to do it early and we did it at 6 wks old. Our ped gave me some suggestions for moms having their dd's ears pierced. If any moms would like them, write me an e-mail and I'll send them to you.

amy
amyswor@hotmail.com